x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 44551/7

Hello,

I would like to know how I can set a default folder for a sub user when the connect via FTP. For example, I want subsuer jsmith to use a folder that would appear to me the administrator as (rootfolder)\jsmith. Also all the folders or files created within there are visible to me the administrator or vice-versa. Any other files or folders created ourside of jsmith would not be accessible to the user jsmtih. Also, when the user jsmith logs on via FTP, their root folder is only jsmith.

Thank you for your clarification.

6/21/2010 11:55:49 PM

i have looked at this from

javascript:gotoFrm("FTP_FAQ.htm") -

DriveHQ FTP Server Hosting Service FAQ

1. I want my clients to post files to me, can I create FTP accounts for my clients?   Top

If you want your clients to post files to you, then your clients must be DriveHQ members. Otherwise, it is not secure to give anonymous users "write" permission to your FTP folder. If for some reasons your clients don't want to sign up, you have several options:

(a) Provide your own username and password to them. They can logon as you. Uploading files should be straight-forward in this way.

(b) Upgrade to a group account and then create a sub-account(s) for your client and provide the sub-account's username and password to your client. This way, you don't leak your own username and password to them. You need to share a folder to the sub-account. Set the folder Share Permission to "Full Access". Then your clients can logon as the sub-user account and upload files to the Shared folder. You can create different sub-accounts for different clients. You can also re-use sub-accounts.

however, I still don;t know how to specify a unique default folder for the sub account. It seems that all accounts have the same root folder.

6/22/2010 12:08:31 AM

User: pencatis  -  6/22/2010 12:08:31 AM

1. I want my clients to post files to me, can I create FTP accounts for my clients?   Top

If you want your clients to post files to you, then your clients must be DriveHQ members. Otherwise, it is not secure to give anonymous users "write" permission to your FTP folder. If for some reasons your clients don't want to sign up, you have several options:

(a) Provide your own username and password to them. They can logon as you. Uploading files should be straight-forward in this way.

(b) Upgrade to a group account and then create a sub-account(s) for your client and provide the sub-account's username and password to your client. This way, you don't leak your own username and password to them. You need to share a folder to the sub-account. Set the folder Share Permission to "Full Access". Then your clients can logon as the sub-user account and upload files to the Shared folder. You can create different sub-accounts for different clients. You can also re-use sub-accounts.

however, I still don;t know how to specify a unique default folder for the sub account. It seems that all accounts have the same root folder.

Each sub-user (or any user) has its own "My Storage" virtual folder (the root folder) and other default folders automatically created by the system. Based on your needs, you can logon as each sub-user and delete all default  files / folders in each sub-user account.

Now you can create folders as: \Users\USER1, or \Users\USER2 in your own account; then share the folder  \Users\USER1 to the sub-user USER1 and share  \Users\USER2 to the sub-user USER2.

then logon www.drivehq.com, click on "Group Admin" link, then click on Group Options. In the dropdown box "Group member default to", select: Sub User Shared Folder page. This page will be the ShowFolder page showing this shared folder:

\DriveHQ Share\GroupOwnerUserName\SubUserName

6/22/2010 1:33:58 AM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  6/22/2010 1:33:58 AM

Each sub-user (or any user) has its own "My Storage" virtual folder (the root folder) and other default folders automatically created by the system. Based on your needs, you can logon as each sub-user and delete all default  files / folders in each sub-user account.

Now you can create folders as: \Users\USER1, or \Users\USER2 in your own account; then share the folder  \Users\USER1 to the sub-user USER1 and share  \Users\USER2 to the sub-user USER2.

then logon www.drivehq.com, click on "Group Admin" link, then click on Group Options. In the dropdown box "Group member default to", select: Sub User Shared Folder page. This page will be the ShowFolder page showing this shared folder:

To clarfiy, what I would like to do is this:

The main user, an Admistrator, called them USER1, I would like them to be able to a folder called COMMONTOALL. An second user who can only upload files, call them USER2, would have their their root folder as COMMONTOALL, not \USER2\.

Also, all the files uploaded by USER2 should also be visible to USER1.

So far, what I have tried has only put in files that is only visible to each respectively. USER1 cannot see files uploaded by USER2.

6/22/2010 5:11:08 PM

User: pencatis  -  6/22/2010 5:11:08 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  6/22/2010 1:33:58 AM

To clarfiy, what I would like to do is this:

The main user, an Admistrator, called them USER1, I would like them to be able to a folder called COMMONTOALL. An second user who can only upload files, call them USER2, would have their their root folder as COMMONTOALL, not \USER2\.

Also, all the files uploaded by USER2 should also be visible to USER1.

So far, what I have tried has only put in files that is only visible to each respectively. USER1 cannot see files uploaded by USER2.

>>> The main user, an Admistrator, called USER1, I would like it to be able to access a folder called COMMONTOALL. A second user who can only upload files, called USER2, would have its root folder as COMMONTOALL, not \USER2\.

Please note DriveHQ system is designed differently, but it can be very similar to what you want.

First of all, please note each user can access the root folder, which is the "My Storage" virtual folder (i.e. the remote path "\"). Now the "My storage" virtual root folder is different for each user.  Every user can access files and folders in its own "My Storage" virtual folder, but it cannot access files / folders in another user's "My Storage" virtual folder.

In your above case, the user1 can create a folder called COMMONTOALL, and share the folder to user2. User2 can logon its own account and access the shared folder from the special virtual folder:

\DriveHQ Share\USER1NAME\SHARE_NAME

Note user2 can access its own root folder "\"; it also has the default folders like "\My Documents", "\wwwhome", etc. Since user1 is the group owner account, it can logon as user1 and delete these default folders to avoid any confusion to user2.

From the group options, you can set an option so that user2 goes to the "\DriveHQ Share" virtual folder right after user1 logs on.

You can share different folders to different users and set different levels of access rights.

>>> Also, all the files uploaded by USER2 should also be visible to USER1.

Using the above method, files uploaded by user2 are visible to user1.

If so, it seems you have not used a shared folder. You must share a folder from user1 to user2. Then user2 and user1 can access to the same shared folder.

6/22/2010 8:59:07 PM

I do not understand this,  i am finding there is no such thing as a password protected share. is that correct? i create a share, so my users can have the same folder.  and there is a link that comes with it that only requires an email address, that is so unsecure.  am i doing something wrong?

12/21/2010 9:12:00 AM

When you share to non-DriveHQ users by providing their email address, they can only access files with read permission.  However, when you share to DriveHQ users, you can have more fine grained control over permissions and they will need to log-on with their username and password.  In addition, you can encrypt a folder which requires your encryption key to decrypt and then share it to others.  They will have to use File Manager and require the key to decrypt it.  To encrypt a folder, put it into "My Documents/My encrypted data".  Before doing this, please make sure you know your encryption key.  If you don't, change it by going to Tools -> Encrypted Folder.  You must remember this key to decrypt the folder.  The key is not uploaded to DriveHQ, so we will not be able to help you recover it in the event that it is lost.

12/21/2010 9:41:53 AM

Hi,

I am piloting to use drive hq ftp service for our mcafee server ePO  to be used a distributed repository. The main server will replicate the mcafee patches and updates to the shared drive hq ftp folder from where our clients will be downloading the patches. I need an option where, when I login to the FTP site, it should default to a specfic folder I created under my storage. How can I achieve that.

Thanks.

6/14/2012 9:22:47 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003