x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 42126/8

Hi, I just signed up today for the 20gb plan and sofar, I like it very much.

I have two questions, though, being a newbie in the off-site storage world:

1. I'm planning on running 5 different scheduled backups a day. Where are the settings of those backup saved? On my local machine or off-site as well, with DriveHQ?

2. Similar: I'm guessing some kind of hash or whatever is being created to compare files and see which need to be uplaoded again. Is that data saved off-site or on my local machine. Or, in other words: if my pc crashes, will I have to do an initial upload again?

I also have a small suggestions, feature request, for the backup software:

All of my schedules run backups from a NAS. Unfortunately, this NAS does not show up in my network list (neither in Windows Explorer, nor in your backup software). This forces me to create a mapped network drive for each backup schedule, because those do show up in your backup software. Would it be possible to create an option (or maybe there already is and I'm overlooking it....) to use the Windows folder browser to browse to a directry to be scheduled for backup? That way I can enter \\nas\dir and add it to the scheduled backups and leave my Windows Explorer dirve letters free for other uses (running kind of low on those....).

Thanks,

Rick

1/2/2008 8:02:11 PM

Some more questions:

I just watched the screenshots and demo of the backup software and I'm missing the explorerl shell integration on my machine. Also, on the retore tab of the backup program, I do not see the files that have been backed up; I only see the letter of the drive that has been backed up and I can't seem to open that. Both "history" and "open" are grayed out on the context menu when I right-click that drive letter, which means (I assume) I can only do a full restore of the complete drive (not exactly what I wanted...).

I'm using the 64 bit version of Vista. The sw is Vista compatible, so could it be the x64 part that's screwing things up there....? If so, will there be an update anytime soon for x64 isers?

Thanks again,

Rick

1/2/2008 8:19:27 PM

1. I'm planning on running 5 different scheduled backups a day. Where are the settings of those backup saved? On my local machine or off-site as well, with DriveHQ?

The settings are saved on server as well as cached locally.

2. Similar: I'm guessing some kind of hash or whatever is being created to compare files and see which need to be uplaoded again. Is that data saved off-site or on my local machine. Or, in other words: if my pc crashes, will I have to do an initial upload again?

Yes, the server uses a combination of file size, last modify time and a "Magic Key" to identify the same files. If your PC crashes and if you were to upload the same files, the upload will be skipped. So in reality, you never need to do an initial backup again.

All of my schedules run backups from a NAS. Unfortunately, this NAS does not show up in my network list (neither in Windows Explorer, nor in your backup software). This forces me to create a mapped network drive for each backup schedule, because those do show up in your backup software. Would it be possible to create an option (or maybe there already is and I'm overlooking it....) to use the Windows folder browser to browse to a directry to be scheduled for backup? That way I can enter \\nas\dir and add it to the scheduled backups and leave my Windows Explorer dirve letters free for other uses (running kind of low on those....).

Great comments. I think it is currently supported. When selecting the source folder, you can go to the parent folder up to "Desktop", then to "My Network Places", then locate the NAS server name and the shared folder name.

However, please be aware that this version of Online Backup requires you to be logged on Windows and logged on to the NAS server before you can backup folders on NAS.

Thanks,

1/2/2008 10:56:37 PM

User: LangSoft  -  1/2/2008 8:19:27 PM

Some more questions:

I just watched the screenshots and demo of the backup software and I'm missing the explorerl shell integration on my machine. Also, on the retore tab of the backup program, I do not see the files that have been backed up; I only see the letter of the drive that has been backed up and I can't seem to open that. Both "history" and "open" are grayed out on the context menu when I right-click that drive letter, which means (I assume) I can only do a full restore of the complete drive (not exactly what I wanted...).

I'm using the 64 bit version of Vista. The sw is Vista compatible, so could it be the x64 part that's screwing things up there....? If so, will there be an update anytime soon for x64 isers?

Thanks again,

Rick

We will double check the Explorer intergation on 64-bit OS.

As of restoring a backup task / files, there are a number of ways. You can use DriveHQ Online Backup, click on the Restore tab, then click on a task name, then double click on the folders / files. Once you selected a file/folder, the restore buttons will be enabled.

If you select a file, the show history button will be enabled and you can restore old versions.

You can also more easily restore files online using a wbe browser if you work on a new PC without DriveHQ Online Backup installed.

It is also very easy to use DriveHQ FileManager to manually drag and drop files.

1/2/2008 11:00:45 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/2/2008 11:00:45 PM

Some more questions:

Thanks again,

Rick

As of restoring a backup task / files, there are a number of ways. You can use DriveHQ Online Backup, click on the Restore tab, then click on a task name, then double click on the folders / files. Once you selected a file/folder, the restore buttons will be enabled.

If you select a file, the show history button will be enabled and you can restore old versions.

You can also more easily restore files online using a wbe browser if you work on a new PC without DriveHQ Online Backup installed.

It is also very easy to use DriveHQ FileManager to manually drag and drop files.

Ok thanks, it would be nice if I could get that one working. Especially because I'll probably also have the DriveHQ entry in my folder view (also missing right now), from which I assume one can browse through the backed up files.

Yes, that seems to be working now. A night's rest did my pc good I guess, because double clicking now does open the backup archive.

I'll try that one out as well,

Thanks for your replies!

1/3/2008 8:18:07 AM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/2/2008 10:56:37 PM

Yes, the server uses a combination of file size, last modify time and a "Magic Key" to identify the same files. If your PC crashes and if you were to upload the same files, the upload will be skipped. So in reality, you never need to do an initial backup again.

Great comments. I think it is currently supported. When selecting the source folder, you can go to the parent folder up to "Desktop", then to "My Network Places", then locate the NAS server name and the shared folder name.

However, please be aware that this version of Online Backup requires you to be logged on Windows and logged on to the NAS server before you can backup folders on NAS.

Thanks,

Hi, one more question:

The backup software is not able to back up SQL Server databases while the SQL Server is running. Will this be a feature in the near future as well? It's hard to schedule a task backing thos up right now...

Thanks,

Rick

1/3/2008 12:25:40 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/2/2008 11:00:45 PM

Some more questions:

Thanks again,

Rick

Hi, I can confirm that it is a 64 bit problem:

When downloading through IE and choosing "save as" a browser window is opened where I DO see the DriveHQ entry on the folders pane. This window is 32 bits, since I'm using the 32 bits version of IE, while the windows explorer window is 64 bits and, indeed, does not show the DriveHQ entry in the folder pane....

Rick

1/3/2008 2:26:09 PM

User: LangSoft  -  1/3/2008 12:25:40 PM

Thanks,

Hi, one more question:

The backup software is not able to back up SQL Server databases while the SQL Server is running. Will this be a feature in the near future as well? It's hard to schedule a task backing thos up right now...

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick, DriveHQ Online Backup 3.8 should be able to backup SQL Server even if it is running. It might be a 64-bit issue again?

Anyway, if you backup a SQL Server database file, it is recommended to backup locally using the database's native incremental backup, and then backup the incremental backup files to DriveHQ as offsite backup.

1/3/2008 3:14:55 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/3/2008 3:14:55 PM

User: LangSoft  -  1/3/2008 12:25:40 PM

Thanks,

Hi, one more question:

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick, DriveHQ Online Backup 3.8 should be able to backup SQL Server even if it is running. It might be a 64-bit issue again?

Anyway, if you backup a SQL Server database file, it is recommended to backup locally using the database's native incremental backup, and then backup the incremental backup files to DriveHQ as offsite backup.

OK, thanks for the reply, it probably is a 64 bit issue again then as the backup errors disappeared after I shut down the server.....

1/3/2008 8:24:25 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003