x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 42039/9
I'm trying to save files directly from Microsoft Word to the recipient's folder (group member) and apparently don't have the permissions to do this.  Do you support chmod?  Is there any other way to change the permissions?  I need to transcribe and save documents in Word (preferably without manually FTPing each document), then the recipient can use your software to receive their files.  Why can't I get into the FTP program with Microsoft Word? 

5/10/2008 6:18:05 PM

If you open an online file from DriveHQ FileManager, edit it, just save it, the file will be saved locally to a cache folder and then sync-ed back to DriveHQ FTP server. This is a more secure and faster way than saving files directly to DriveHQ FTP.

Note if you save a file to an online drive or FTP directly, when the network is slow or disconnected in the middle, your application or PC could become non-responsive; you could lose your data.

DriveHQ FileManager is much more reliable and much faster. You will never lose data because of network problem. You can also setup folder synchronization between a local folder and a remote folder.

You can use DriveHQ FileManager or DriveHQ.com website to share a folder. Just select a folder and click on the Share button in the toolbar. You can set a permission when share a folder; you can also edit a share after the share has been created.

5/10/2008 7:37:21 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  5/10/2008 7:37:21 PM

If you open an online file from DriveHQ FileManager, edit it, just save it, the file will be saved locally to a cache folder and then sync-ed back to DriveHQ FTP server. This is a more secure and faster way than saving files directly to DriveHQ FTP.

Note if you save a file to an online drive or FTP directly, when the network is slow or disconnected in the middle, your application or PC could become non-responsive; you could lose your data.

DriveHQ FileManager is much more reliable and much faster. You will never lose data because of network problem. You can also setup folder synchronization between a local folder and a remote folder.

You can use DriveHQ FileManager or DriveHQ.com website to share a folder. Just select a folder and click on the Share button in the toolbar. You can set a permission when share a folder; you can also edit a share after the share has been created.

I know your programs are good, but I don't think they will allow me to do everything I need to do. For example, synchronization is not really what I need, except for my own files.  As the group administrator, I need to download audio files from various doctors (group members) and upload their transcribed reports to their respective folders for them to download.  You make a good point about saving directly from Word to FTP not being a good idea, but I would only save the documents to FTP in the final save, to "submit" the reports to the various members' folders. They could all then use DriveHQ File Manager to get their transcribed documents.  I need the ability to upload to their folders without logging in as them.  How can I make that work?

5/10/2008 8:36:21 PM

User: 050108-0003  -  5/10/2008 8:36:21 PM

I know your programs are good, but I don't think they will allow me to do everything I need to do. For example, synchronization is not really what I need, except for my own files.  As the group administrator, I need to download audio files from various doctors (group members) and upload their transcribed reports to their respective folders for them to download.  You make a good point about saving directly from Word to FTP not being a good idea, but I would only save the documents to FTP in the final save, to "submit" the reports to the various members' folders. They could all then use DriveHQ File Manager to get their transcribed documents.  I need the ability to upload to their folders without logging in as them.  How can I make that work?

Please note synchronization works among multiple PCs and multiple accounts.

It would be better if you create a folder for each doctor and then share the folder to the doctor from your group owner account. When you share the folders, set the access right to "Full-Access". Your group members can then logon their own account and access their files from the special shared folder: "\DriveHQ Share\YOUR_USERNAME".

In your case, since the group members upload files to their own account; you can use the web-based "Group Admin" tool  to logon as your group member and share their folder to you with "Full-Access" right. Then, logon back as your own account; you should see the shared folders in your "\DriveHQ Share\GroupMemberUserName\"

If a folder has been shared to you with Full Access right, then FileManager can automatically save modified files back to the folder. Folder Synchronization also works with shared folders.

5/10/2008 9:01:53 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  5/10/2008 9:01:53 PM

It would be better if you create a folder for each doctor and then share the folder to the doctor from your group owner account. When you share the folders, set the access right to "Full-Access". Your group members can then logon their own account and access their files from the special shared folder: "\DriveHQ Share\YOUR_USERNAME".

In your case, since the group members upload files to their own account; you can use the web-based "Group Admin" tool  to logon as your group member and share their folder to you with "Full-Access" right. Then, logon back as your own account; you should see the shared folders in your "\DriveHQ Share\GroupMemberUserName\"

If a folder has been shared to you with Full Access right, then FileManager can automatically save modified files back to the folder. Folder Synchronization also works with shared folders.

Okay....I think that will work nicely, especially since you have an option for new Word document, new Excel document, etc from within the Drive HQ File Manager.  At some point I will have to delete all the old audio files and transcribed documents.  It would be really nice if there was an option to automatically delete remote files by modification date or upload date.  Do you have an option for this?.  Thanks for all your help.

5/11/2008 5:32:31 AM

User: surfdog1958  -  5/11/2008 5:32:31 AM

Okay....I think that will work nicely, especially since you have an option for new Word document, new Excel document, etc from within the Drive HQ File Manager.  At some point I will have to delete all the old audio files and transcribed documents.  It would be really nice if there was an option to automatically delete remote files by modification date or upload date.  Do you have an option for this?.  Thanks for all your help.
Please tell me that the "share" folder stays there until I "unshare" it.  Also, I don't need curious doctors unknowingly "unsharing" their folders with me.  Is there any way that I can restrict them to uploading audio files and downloading transcribed documents, with no ability to "unshare" folders I have set to be shared with me?  Thanks again. 

5/11/2008 5:45:07 AM

User: surfdog1958  -  5/11/2008 5:45:07 AM

Please tell me that the "share" folder stays there until I "unshare" it.  Also, I don't need curious doctors unknowingly "unsharing" their folders with me.  Is there any way that I can restrict them to uploading audio files and downloading transcribed documents, with no ability to "unshare" folders I have set to be shared with me?  Thanks again. 

The problem I'm seeing now is that, if I use folder synchronization in DriveHQ FileManager, any files I delete on the server side will be deleted on the local side and vice versa.  Is there a way just to schedule regular uploads and regular downloads, so that those on one side can delete files without deleting files on the other side? 

I suppose I could create an "upload account" and a "download account" for each group member, but surely there is a better way.

5/11/2008 10:25:48 AM

No, we don't have a feature to automatically delete your files. Deleting files is always risky and we try to avoid it.

You could use Windows Task scheduler to delete files; but that would require writing some scripts...

5/11/2008 9:24:27 PM

The "Share" will stay there unless deleted by the doctors or you.

I guess most doctors probably won't notice that they can delete a "Share". However, since you are sharing a folder from the doctor's account to you, the shared folder and the Share belong to the doctor account, so the doctor can always delete the shared folder or the Share if they want to.

If you designed it the other way as I mentioned before - create folders in your own account and share them to the doctors. Then you have full control over the shared folders and its permissions.

5/11/2008 9:28:25 PM

User: surfdog1958  -  5/11/2008 10:25:48 AM

The problem I'm seeing now is that, if I use folder synchronization in DriveHQ FileManager, any files I delete on the server side will be deleted on the local side and vice versa.  Is there a way just to schedule regular uploads and regular downloads, so that those on one side can delete files without deleting files on the other side? 

I suppose I could create an "upload account" and a "download account" for each group member, but surely there is a better way.

No, I don't think you can create it this way.

It is kind of confusing about one-way synchronization. For example, if you sync Server to Client only. So it is a one way synchronization:

Server  --> Client

Now assume the two folders are sync-ed; and if you only make changes to the Server folder, then it should work just fine. However, if you change a file in the Client folder, the next synchronization will overwrite the changes made to the Client file.

Please be careful about Synchronization, as it could accidentally over-write or delete your files.

5/11/2008 9:34:11 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003