x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 27271/3

Hi,

I am a new user of Drive HQ and what I have tested so far is promising. We are a small company of 15 peoples and we use to share a file server with a quite complexe folders structure. I have migrated all the folders hierachy to Drive HQ and now I try to figure out how to set-up the access rights.

My question is basic: we have a root folder 'A' and 3 sub-folders A1, A2 and A3. I would like to share all the folders with the employee except A3. Here is what I tried:

Option 1) I have shared the root folder 'A'. What I like is that by sharing a folder, the users have access to all sub-folders. Cool but how to restrict the access of folder A3?

Option 2) I have shared only folder A1 and A2. I works but the users do not see the root folder A. They see directly folder A1 and A2. I would like my users to access folders A1 and A2 by drill down the root folder A. This is because our folder hierarchy is quite complexe and it help finding the information by going through the structure when accessing the files.

Does anyone can help me?

Thanks for your help

Greg

9/15/2015 5:21:30 AM

Hi Greg, I know we have already answered your questions in email. Here the answers are for other users. 

>>> My question is basic: we have a root folder 'A' and 3 sub-folders A1, A2 and A3. I would like to share all the folders with the employee except A3. Here is what I tried:

>>> Option 1) I have shared the root folder 'A'. What I like is that by sharing a folder, the users have access to all sub-folders. Cool but how to restrict the access of folder A3?

For now, the easiest solution is to move A3 out of A. So after that you have the following folder structure:

\A\A1

\A\A2

\A3

When you share Folder A to a user, the user can also access A1 and A2; but A3 is no longer in A, so the user cannot access A3. ( We plan to add a folder filter feature in a few months. )

>>> Option 2) I have shared only folder A1 and A2. I works but the users do not see the root folder A. They see directly folder A1 and A2. I would like my users to access folders A1 and A2 by drill down the root folder A. This is because our folder hierarchy is quite complexe and it help finding the information by going through the structure when accessing the files.

If A has many subfolders, e.g. A1, A2, ... A100, and if User1 can access A1, A2, ... A90; and User2 can access A91, A92, ... A100. Then you need to create a new folder B at the same level as A, and move A91 - A100 to B. You can then share A to User1 and B to User2.

If User2 needs to access all 100 subfolders, you just need to share A to both User1 and User2, and share B to User2.

Please note "User1" can be generalized to represent a group of users and sub-groups; and User2 can represent another group of users and sub-groups. When you share Folder A, you can share it to multiple users, sub-groups and contact groups. You can also set a permission level.

9/18/2015 2:02:42 AM

9/18/2015 7:58:18 AM

Thanks for your answer. I think we can manage to adapt our folder structure as you suggest and give the access rights accordingly. It is not ideal as one have to trick the natural organisation of the information to adapt a technical limitation. But that's fine. At least once you have the right folder structure, the access rights are very simple to maintain (and to understand). So I believe this is robust.

Enjoy your weekend

Greg

9/18/2015 8:02:38 AM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003